Friday, October 3, 2014

No Grains, No Gains: Dealing with Body Shape and Size Changes

NO GRAINS, NO GAINS: A GROUP A OF PRIMAL/PALEO/GRAIN FREE WOMEN WHO BLOG ABOUT THEIR EXPERIENCES/LIFE/BENEFITS WITHOUT GRAINS. A GREAT WAY FOR OTHERS (WHO MAY BE WANTING TO LOSE WEIGHT, REVERSE AN ACUTE/CHRONIC HEALTH TREND, AND/OR TRANSITION FROM COMMERCIAL WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAMS) TO READ ABOUT REAL LIFE WOMEN WHO ARE LIVING THE LIFE AND SUCCEEDING!


I skipped out on last month's No Grains, No Gains topic because life was really crazy for me. No surprise, life is still really crazy, but I managed to get my stuff together enough to participate this month!

The topic? How my body shape and size has changed, and how I've dealt with it.

First, I will show you how it has changed.

This is me, circa 2003, before my "awakening" when I got real and dropped some serious pounds (I am also filthy because I am doing archaeology... wow, this is the worst picture of me on earth, seriously):


Here I am after losing the weight, but not getting real about nutrition, so still pretty bloated/inflamed (I am at one of my best friend's weddings here in 2010!):


And here I am AFTER Paleo, after getting real about nutrition and exercise (2014):



I suppose "dealing with it" is the wrong way to phrase it, since all the changes have been incredibly positive, it really has just been a process to STOP thinking of myself the way I used to be (for so long) and learn to accept that I have this new body (and as long as I stick to my plan, it doesn't seem to be going anywhere!)

So, what's changed?

Well, my weight is a big one. Before going paleo and getting real about ditching processed foods and empty carbs, I was still pursuing health and fitness in my own way, but I couldn't seem to break a plateau that was driving me crazy. I had dropped from almost 200 pounds to 135-140 pounds doing a general calorie in-calorie out formula (with little regard to food type or quality - I was still eating processed foods). I felt generally healthy, healthier than before, but I still looked a little pudgy and couldn't seem to get to that next level that I had always dreamed of (I am a big admirer of strong, athletic body types).

I had started to accept it as it was, actually.

But then Paleo started to come on the health and fitness scene. I was interested, and NOT because of the hype around "eating like our ancestors" because I know that that premise is a bit silly, but because giving up grains, white sugar, alcohol and putting in TONS of veggies, fruits, lean protein and healthy fats just made a ton of sense. The idea that QUALITY mattered hit me in the face like a ton of bricks... I don't know how I didn't put the pieces together before.

I did the Whole30 and dropped to 123ish pounds in a just over a month.

I was floored.

I had spent the majority of my life obese. And a small part of it at a healthy weight, but not feeling like I was at my best.

After that first major drop of weight (which I maintained! Here I am, over 2.5 years later and still weighing 123 (though last year I did dip down to 118 for my wedding... I was super skinny and it was not maintainable for my body!)), I did have to stop feeling like I wasn't good enough. I had to get those stupid thoughts out of my mind.

I WAS good enough. I was good enough at all the weights I was.

And then, reaching a really ideal body weight (ideal for health and for fertility and longevity), I really had to face my body dysmorphia demons. Those voices that tell me I am fat and not good enough? They are clearly and logically wrong. It was a lot harder to pretend like I didn't have body dysmorphic issues once I was medically very fit and healthy. It didn't jibe.

My body was healthy and then began the work to get my MIND healthy (look back at years of posts to see how I approached that work). That was the REAL and HARDEST work I did. I wish I had loved my body my whole life.... but my obesity was a symptom of a lot of pain and self-doubt and fear. It probably was impossible for me to love myself then.

But I've talked ad nauseum about that! So back to the topic:

My body shape has changed as well.

Firstly, I was no longer bloated and inflamed from that grain-focused, processed standard American diet. My stomach was flatter than I ever dreamed it could be (still not FLAT, but I am a woman with curves, and had to get out of my head that I would ever look like a model).

Secondly, the Paleo diet really encourages you to strength train and to get your whole body fit. Gone were the days of hours of low intensity cardio! I had always done a LITTLE strength training, but really went whole hog after I went Paleo. I love full body exercising (hiking, swimming, yoga, body-weight training, etc) and engaging my whole body. I focused a lot on my core strength and balance.

And trust me, once you realllllllly get your core in shape, you will notice that you stand straighter, stronger and more confidently, which changes your body shape immensely.

So the takeaway?

Even if you don't eat Paleo or Grain-Free, I do recommend ditching as much of the empty carbs, processed foods, chemicals, antibiotics, preservative, white flours, white sugars, etc as possible. And when you do? Fill up those holes in your diet with more veggies than you think possible, beautiful fruit, lots of lovely protein, nuts, seeds, coconut oils, olive oils, avocados, etc.

You might just see a big change in your body!


Other members of No Grains, No Gains:
Leigh http://poonapalooza.blogspot.com/
Karen http://gardengirlkp.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

  1. Wow is all I can say to your transformation. You are doing such an amazing job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nutrition is so incredibly powerful isn't it!! I love that you noticed how inflammation was going down.

    I'm way glad you decided to accept your body too--that's hard to do but something that will keep you happy for a long time! Great job maintaining girl, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG- I love that photo of you at your dig. It shows how much you've changed. Low inflammatory for the win. I'm so, so glad that you figured this out before you started your family. Your changes will benefit you and your relatives to come. Kudos and thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said.

    I look at a lot of women I pass in the grocery store with a "spare tire" right around their middle and wonder if they realize they could get rid of it (probably easier than they think).

    I carried so much of my excess weight in my belly that it was mind blowing that it could be gone. I only had ONE person, in the beginning, who told me I could get rid of that belly. Pilates instructor. I believed her. Really glad.

    I love what you wrote about posture. Makes a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have done so well and continue to do so.

    Awesome

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete